The Dismantling

The Dismantling

Well, this was a fun way to spend a weekend.

I bought the van with a very high bed built in as well as a small cooking area with a gas stove and sink and a foldable table with one small bench under which the additional battery and the charger were installed. The van had been equipped with two skylights by the previous owner and the headliner consisted of white wood panels held together by dark brown baseboards fixed with what felt like a thousand screws. The side panels where brown wood panels with dents and marker strokes all over it.

Since the interior didn't fit our practical and aesthetic ideas we started Willi's conversion by ripping everything out of the van - well not quite everything. We left the floor board as it was since it fitted in so nicely. It had a few holes, but we either covered them up during the conversion or we used the holes for our purposes - you gotta work with what you got :-) Also, at first we did not touch the headlining, just because we felt like other things needed our attention more. This was until we realized that we needed to deconstruct the headlining to get skylights - plus the old headlining didn't look good anyway.

Also, we only dismounted the side panels on the driver's side of the van to fit all the electric wires behind that panel. Beneath the side panels and beneath the headlining the van had been insulated with foamed plastic by the previous owner and we left it that way.

We didn't use many of the things we took out of the bus. Most of the wood was full of srew holes and the paint started to discolor from the age and the sun probably. We used a few bits and pieces of that wood as support when working with or storing the nice and new wooden boards. What we could make use of was one of the two big black wooden boards that made the bed in the van.

Dismantling Willi's interior took us about two whole days. Now it was shopping for material to get the conversion going. First on our list was the bed.